RULES OF CONDUCT FOR PATRONS
THE AMARILLO PUBLIC LIBRARY SYSTEM
The mission of the Amarillo Public Library System is to offer library materials, services, and programs to meet the informational, educational, and recreational needs of our community. In order to maintain a safe, clean, and pleasant environment conducive to accomplishing this mission, the Amarillo Public Library Advisory Board has adopted these rules of conduct for those using our libraries.
The following actions, as well as any other behavior that disrupts the public use of the Library, are prohibited:
- Engaging in any activity prohibited by law.
- Sleeping on Library premises.
- Smoking or using other tobacco products within the Library. This includes e-cigarettes and other devices designed for or capable of being used to turn nicotine and other chemicals or substances into a vapor that is to be inhaled by the user.
- Engaging in sexual activity.
- Eating or drinking, with the exception of authorized groups in meeting rooms.
- Soliciting of or panhandling for money, transportation, goods, or services.
- Bringing in bedrolls, sleeping bags, luggage, camping backpacks, large plastic bags or items which size exceeds 24” x 18” x 20”.
- Bringing pets into the building, with the exception of service animals or animals specifically invited for Library-sponsored programs.
- Harassing, intimidating, stalking, or prolonged staring at patrons or staff.
- Using abusive or profane language.
- Placing feet on tables, chairs, or other furnishings.
- Remaining in the Library or on Library property without being engaged in library-related activities.
- Being drunk or disorderly.
- Leaving children or individuals requiring care unattended for long periods of time or at closing. Parents or guardians must monitor all activities and behavior of their children in the Library.
- Loud, boisterous, or disruptive behavior.
- Bathing, shaving, shampooing, washing clothes, or other inappropriate uses of Library restrooms.
- Bodily hygiene which constitutes a nuisance to patrons or staff.
- Damaging or vandalizing Library facilities, equipment, or materials.
- Removing Library materials without properly checking them out.
- Operating any radio, telephone, or other device at a volume or in a manner which disturbs other users.
- Inadequate attire. Shoes and shirts must be worn at all times.
- Roller-skating, roller-blading, skateboarding, or camping on Library property.
- Entering staff areas without authorization.
- Failing to abide by Library rules and regulations posted or related by Library staff.
Anyone violating these rules may be asked to leave the Library premises and Library privileges may be suspended. All Library staff members are authorized to enforce these rules. The Amarillo Police Department may be called to assist with the enforcement of these rules.